Employment Practices Liability Overview
Many business owners try to do it all themselves, believing they can manage harassment and discrimination without buying insurance coverage. But employment-related risks are a complex and potentially damaging exposure, often centering around discrimination, sexual harassment, or wrongful termination from a current, former, or prospective employee.
Business owners face potential damage from employment practices liability lawsuits, with consequences that could include financial disaster and/or irreparable damage to an organization’s reputation. That's why FLEET offers additional benefits with EPL coverage to help protect your business, including:
- Membership into the Employment Practices Risk Management Association (EPRMA), an organization dedicated to helping businesses like yours to understand and mitigate workplace liability challenges.
- Unlimited access to employment law attorneys for confidential advice and prompt consultation on employment laws and workplace issues.
- Online customized video training for your managers.
- Assistance with establishing an HR Handbook and/or updating your policies and procedures.
With the protection and added benefits, EPL coverage can be a cost-effective option for employment legal help in comparison to having a lawyer on retainer or paying an hourly fee.
Types of claims this policy covers.
With employment practices liability coverage, your business is protected against claims which may include allegations of:
- Harassment (sexual or otherwise)
- Failure to provide equal opportunity of employment
- Wrongful termination
- Failure to employ or promote
- Negligent evaluation
- Libel, slander, or humiliation
- Infliction of emotional distress
- Wrongful failure to provide or enforce corporate policies
- Violation of an employee’s civil rights
Do EPL issues impact small businesses?
Yes! Over 40% of EPL claims are against firms with less than 100 employees. Even good employers get sued. The question is no longer if a business owner will face an employment practice liability claim, but rather when it will, how much it will cost, and what damage it might cause.
Getting help with employment law.
Yes! Policyholders have unlimited access for employment-related questions to employment attorneys at LaPointe Law, P.C.
- Employment Law Helpline: +1 844 282 2230
The helpline provides:
- Prompt advice when you need it, including after hours and on weekends.
- Confidential communications with experienced employment litigation attorneys; complimentary review of employee handbooks.
- No limit on calls; reduced possibility of a claim.
- Potential deductible reduction if you use the Helpline and still get a claim.
Since 2014, the LaPointe Helpline has received more than 15,000 calls — with an average response time of less than 15 minutes. The LaPointe legal team is ready to answer your employment questions. Call today!
Harrassment & discrimination training.
Policyholders have access to an internet-based EEOC Compliance Training program. Training is interactive (compliant with California AB 1825) and provides managers/supervisors with “best practices” tools for effectively avoiding discrimination and harassment claims in the workplace. A separate training program is provided for non-managers on sexual harassment compliance and their own responsibilities in the workplace.